Monday, November 23, 2009

Domestication.., Again!




Tomorrow I begin cooking for this Thanksgiving Day meal. It will be especially important to me for, you see, it is my first attempt at the making of the feast AND it is my father's birthday. So I hope that I do not screw it up! I very seldom get to cook for my Dad so it is doubly important that I do well. I will attempt to cook a bacon and herb turkey with apple cider gravy and cornbread dressing to accent the bird. I will also make my infamous mashed potatoes that are a closely guarded ancient double secret recipe of my own making, plus a batch of pecan and chocolate pies (my first shot at these as well!). I will try my hand at cranberry sauce too. And the the regular sides. One of my younger brothers and his future wifey-poo plan to be in attendance as well. Here is the sad part: I am worried about the outcome!! Me! The guy who at one time took a date to Allsups for dinner! (Oh yes, it's true, I did that!) Wow, what a domesticated little human I have become. What happened to the feral me? The man who would throw small animals on a fire and call it cuisine? The guy who would roast a perch and open a can of corn and LOVE it? Now, I worry about a good deal on bleach or what brand of toilet paper holds up without chafing. Next thing you know, I'll be watching project runway and worrying if Sweet Pea will win....oh, wait, I did that already, a few seasons back. Make it work designers! I talk about blending fall colors with shoes, me!, the guy who could have gone a year without changing underwear until Christmas, IF I got some as a gift. O.k., not quite that bad, but close!
I should be chopping wood, and getting the cabin ready for winter, not baking pies!! I need to be fighting a grizzly bear with a Swiss army knife, the Victorinox one of course, and taking its' coat for a blanket, not shopping for place settings! Oh, if my ancestors could see me now. Instead of making my own soap I'm looking for coupons on scented body wash. I don't know if I should smash my head between two bricks or get the one that smells of lilacs! I need to get back to the primitive!
So, if you are headed that way, I could use a lift. Did I mention that I can cook?...

No comments:

Post a Comment