Tuesday, May 25, 2010

walkabout



I have been,for some great time, thinking of taking a walk. A long walk. Since I was young, I have felt this..NEED to go. To simply go. It always gets worse with the changing seasons. Call it wanderlust from a time when humans were more mobile, more nomadic. I have always wanted to take a long walk, what the Aussies call a walkabout. Now I think I may actually do so. I, with the help of Bruno, will start training for said long walk and next year, I will take it. I want to walk to the Canadian border and maybe a bit further. My exact route is as of yet unmapped so the mileage will vary, but I'm looking at around about 1800 to 2000 miles. I don't plan on a straight path as I want to skirt the Rocky Mountains on both sides for a bit and then shoot over to Idaho or Washington. I would like to walk in Yellowstone some also and it is along the way...sort of. I don't wish to plan too much of an exact route. I will not stay on it anyway, I'm too chaotic for any true structure.
In taking this little stroll, I hope to maybe find something out about myself and the world I live on. Perhaps even find who I am. In looking outward, I may be able to see inward. I'm not exactly sure that I want to see who or what I am, but I think that I need to try. Hell, I may not like what I find! I am also hoping to travel with my canine owner. We will be taking long walks this summer to get fit and see how he does with the shorter trips to local towns. This will also help us to test out the equipment for our trek. I hope to travel light but will need to haul food for the Bruno, a little for myself, and water for us both. Who knows, we may become full-time nomadic wanderers!

No comments:

Post a Comment